Sunday, July 12, 2009

You can't have your cake and eat it too.


I was recently taught about opportunity cost, which really is a formalised way of saying we face trade offs in life.

Opportunity cost is the cost of something including the cost of not doing what ever your next best option is.

Lets take a diet example, the cost of a slice of cake is maybe $5.00, the opportunity cost is the extra calories you ate that day plus the $5.00.

I was wondering about why so many people are overweight, when most would prefer not to be. I have been overweight and I have been thin. I achieved my weight loss by setting goals and focusing on them.

Sometimes I put some of it back on. When I start to feel less good about myself I set new goals and start again.

For me, it is always about the goals. My whole life has goals. I am a very optimistic happy person, setting goals isn't about being unhappy with my life, in fact quite the opposite.

I have enough belief in myself to think I can achieve these things. Each time I achieve a goal I feel great about myself.

Falling into bad habits, I think happens when I have achieved a goal, but haven't set another one firmly in mind.

Bad habits, this is what I was going to post about.

I think that some people struggle because they don't yet get it. You can't have everything. If you want to look great and feel great you have to work at it. There will be sacrifices.

Of course, I believe those sacrifices are well worth it. I am quite an addict to success, I am happy to give up a night of drinking and junk food, because the benefit of not doing those things outweighs the benefit of doing it.

It isn't just about thinking positive and remaining motivated. You have to be prepared to give up time, junk food, cigarettes and alcohol. Not all the time, but more often than not.

Sure we all have our weaknesses, but make sure they are managed and don't undermine what you really want to achieve.

I know their are people to whom this doesn't apply, people who are food addicts or have hormone imbalance or other medical/pychological reasons for not getting on with it, but I think for some people out there, they haven't quite understood that the goal is well within their reach, if only they just do what they need to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment