Monday, October 26, 2009

SCA

I have returned to an old hobby, a group and a life style.

As soon as I went to my first event I knew I was meant to be apart of it, but for some reason I have never been as active in the Society as I want to be.

Some of that has to do with fear of failure, that the stuff I do or produce won't be good enough. The truth is it probably isn't good enough, but I am still going to do my best and join in. Not everyone is meant to be the stars. Some of it has to do with competing priorities and some of it to do with my ex.

What is the SCA, well it is a medieval recreation group, well sort of. We dress in medieval clothes, we discuss and research medieval history/culture/technology and warfare, we are part of a society that has rules and structure different to day to day life. There are Kings and Queens, Barons and Baronesses, Knights, Laurels and Pelicans and these are all held in the highest regard.

I love the ceremony, the theatre and the people. It is a great escape from all the stress of the real world. This is where I am doing my new training, fighter training. If I like it I will be buying some armor and waving a sword made of rattan.

A more official description:
An international non-profit educational organisation that is dedicated to the research and recreation of pre-17th century European History, with a particular focus on its practical applications in arts and sciences, including costuming, cooking, martial arts, dance, calligraphy and illumination, metalwork, archery and music (to name but a few!).

and if you want to find out more http://www.sca.org.au/

No comments:

Post a Comment